French Onion Soup [makes approx. 6-8 servings]
6 large white onions, thinly sliced
3-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
3 to 4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
9 cups beef broth
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/3 teaspoon ground black pepper
8-10 slices French white bread (Baguette)
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
8 slices mozzarella, gruyere or provolone cheese ( even swiss cheese works)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Remove the crusts from slices of white bread. Bake bread pieces 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden and crisped. Set aside.
2. Sauté sliced onions in olive oil over medium heat until onions become translucent but not brown.
3. Add minced garlic cloves to onions during last few minutes, making sure garlic does not brown.
4. Stir in beef broth and seasonings.
5. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste adding salt and pepper as required. Remember that Parmesan cheese is salty, so don't overdo with the salt.
6. Ladle the soup into ovenproof serving bowls, one for each serving. Cover soup with a slice of bread. Top with favourite cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan.
7. Place serving bowls under broiler set on high. Broil six to seven minutes or until cheese is bubbly and has some browning.
Enjoy this warm and toasty soup with your favouorite melted cheese broiled to perfection.
Created by NCR Holesome Delights